The 42nd Annecy International Animation Festival is quickly approaching and will kick off on 11th June. Annecy again will be filled with various exciting and inspiring programs this year. 220 selected films, world premiers, concert films and unique experiences in virtual reality are all waiting for us.
Here are some highlights of special programs from Annecy 2018.
Dilili in Paris
[Opening ceremony on 11th June]
The director Michel Ocelot will present the world premier of his new feature film, Dilili in Paris.
Hotel Transylvania 3
The world-exclusive screening of the non-finalised version of the film is going to be screened on Wednesday 13th June at 6:00 pm in the Bonlieu Grande salle.
How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World
The screening of the first footage of the film will be released on Thursday 14th June at 10:30 am in the Bonlieu Grande salle.
Two Keynote speeches are planned this year.
- 35 Years of Polygon Pictures : Shuzo John Shiota will offer insight into how Polygon Pictures, a successful Japanese digital animation studio, managed to stay afloat in the rough-and-tumble world of computer animation, by continuing to create engaging stories and original imagery.
- Keynote with 20th Century Fox Animation’s Andrea Miloro and Robert Baird : 20th Century Fox Animation Co-Presidents Andrea Miloro and Robert Baird will have a discussion about the state of the animation industry and its future in creating compelling entertainment through artistry, storytelling and technology.
- Animators and Musicians
- Masaaki Yuasa: Making New Waves!
- Composing for Animated Films: A Discussion with Éric Neveux
- Starburns Industries: A Conversation with Duke Johnson and Dino Stamatopoulos
Work in Progress
- Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles
- Penguin Highway
- Playmobil – The Movie (working title)
- Spider-ManTM: Into the Spider-Verse
- Spies in Disguise
- The Bears’ Famous Invasion of Sicily
- The Crossing
- The Swallows of Kabul
- Becca’s Bunch
- hello world!
- 101 Dalmatian Street
Annecy celebrates Brazilian animation
The Annecy Festival will have a focus on Brazil. Brazilian animation will be honored throughout the week to highlight the country’s cultural energy, especially from a cinematographic point of view.
The festival will pay tributes to timeless classic films that are part of a heritage to us.
- My Neighbor Totoro : It is the 30th anniversary of the film and will have a screening on Wednesday 13th June at 4:30 pm in the Bonlieu Petite Salle.
- The Prince of Egypt (a digital restored version)
- Des Cowboys et des Indiens, ile cinéma de Patar et Aubier
- Millennium Actress
There will be a programme of short films with Instrumentarium (CNC programme), Celebrating 60 Years of Nukufilm Studio and Animation in Armed Forces Movies (in partnership with the ECPAD).
If you are night-owls and would love to enjoy the evenings with special screenings, the festival offers you a selection of films for the mature audience to enjoy.
- WTF2018: A selection of 21 short films will be screened
- Spike & Mike’s Sick and Twisted Animation Festival: You can discover collections of films developed by Spike and Mike who were behind the creation of Beavis and Butthead, Wallace and Gromit, and Happy Tree Friends to name a few.
- Titmouse Presents…: A glimpse of the best short films released by Titmouse during the last 10 years will be screened.
Music and Animated Movies
Music is an inseparable part of animation. Several inspiring music events are held during Annecy.
Concert Film Octuor de France
- De Visu
- Dominique A Concert with the Participation of Sébastien Laudenbach
- After School – Robert Desnos